How to apply
- Apply online*
- Type in keyword "Internship"
- Review the full job description
- Complete the online application for position(s) where you meet all the qualifications
Summer Internship Program
The Summer Internship Program allows students in between academic years to gain the hands on experience they need to build a solid foundation for the future. Participants in the internship program work with other Cardinal Health professionals, as well as our business partners, customers and vendors. Their contributions start on the first day, working on meaningful and exciting projects, ultimately, helping students prepare for life in the Fortune 500. Throughout the summer, interns are responsible for tasks which have a direct effect on profitability and the overall quality of the business. In addition, interns will participate in a formalized program, designed to increase knowledge of Cardinal Health and the healthcare industry as well as develop essential leadership skills. Interns will be given the opportunity to explore different career paths and interview for full-time roles upon successful completion of the program.
Experience: Interns work with other Cardinal Health professionals on their team, as well as business partners, customers and vendors on substantial projects in addition to daily work. To enhance leadership skills, each intern also participates on a committee. At the end of the summer, each intern has the opportunity to showcase their work in a presentation to business leaders.
Networking: Interns have the opportunity to learn from key business leaders through the “Executive Speaker Series.” They also have the opportunity to network with other professionals through both formal and informal networking events.
Development: Interns participate in a formal one-on-one mentoring program, as well as professional workshops to enhance their business acumen. They are also able to explore full time career paths throughout their internship experience.
Camaraderie: The internship program offers various social, teambuilding, community service events, as well as tours to help interns build a solid network of peers.
Cardinal Health has two primary locations for Summer Internships - Dublin, OH or McGaw Park, IL. Find out more about these two cities and what they have to offer:
- Dublin, OH (suburb of Columbus)
Cardinal Health corporate headquarters
- Learn more about living and working in Columbus
- Learn more about living and working in Columbus
- McGaw Park, IL (30 miles outside of Chicago)
- Learn more about living and working in Chicago
- Learn more about living and working in Chicago
- Additional internship opportunities are available in various locations throughout the United States. Please specify your location of interest in the application process.
Start early! We recommend full time students who meet the following criteria apply for a summer internship at Cardinal Health:
- Progression toward a bachelor’s degree in an academic program related to the internship
- Recommended GPA of 3.0 or above (3.5 for Finance, 3.2 for Engineering)
- Relevant coursework and/or projects
- Previous internship experience preferred
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Process and results orientation
- Extensive community service and/or extracurricular activities
Note: Students must be authorized to work on a full-time, permanent basis in the United States. If you are offered a position and you accept that position, the offer is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a drug test, completion of a background investigation, and demonstrated evidence that you are eligible to work for any employer in the United States.
*Cardinal Health does not offer unpaid internships.
Cardinal Health offers many opportunities for students to learn more about the company and apply for opportunities.
|Fall||Summer internship positions are posted on cardinalhealth.com/college. To officially register as a candidate, you must click "apply now," search using "internship" as a keyword and apply online. All resumes are reviewed and the most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. In addition, please visit your career services office to see if Cardinal Health will be conducting on-campus interviews.|
|Winter||On-site interviews take place, offers are extended, and start dates are finalized.|
|Spring / Summer||Interns begin and participate in summer long (typically 10-12 week) internship program.|
We receive hundreds of applications each year for our competitive Summer Internship Program. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by a College Relations Recruiter for further consideration.
As a finance intern, you will assist in the financial planning and analysis to forecast and budget the expected financial performance of the company.
Opportunities are available in various departments such as: Accounting, Audit, Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax and Treasury. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Assist with annual budget cycle, forecasting and analysis of financial results
- Review and analyze key account profitability and develop recommendations to improve profitability
- Develop, analyze and prepare reporting capabilities to support strategic initiatives
- Enhance sales and sell margin reporting
- Contribute to tax return and tax provision preparation
- Participate in an audit designed to determine the effectiveness and adequacy of internal controls over financial reporting
- General accounting – assist in accounts payable; gain exposure to SAP general ledger applications
- Project Accounting –assist in activities related to project review, reporting, and depreciation forecasting
- Miscellaneous ad hoc reporting requests
As an engineering intern, you will help research, design and develop medical electromechanical devices and disposables that improve operating room productivity and clinician safety.
Opportunities are available in various departments such as Environmental Technologies, Packaging, Patient Care, Research & Development and Scientific Products. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Demonstrate working knowledge of scientific principles
- Demonstrate a disciplined experimental approach to solving problems
- Perform tests, analyze and solve technical problems with guidance
- Interface with product teams, contribute ideas, take action and ensure follow-up accordingly
- Experience projects at various stages of development including initial planning to product release
- Assist with engineering analysis, product design, product testing and establish test methodology
- Work in a cross-functional environment, interact with individuals from marketing, sales, manufacturing, packaging, regulatory, quality and legal
- Assist with the definition and verification of customer requirements for new products and product maintenance
Human Resources Intern
As a human resources intern, you will assist in the overall responsibility for implementing strategies and policies relating to the management of individuals.
Opportunities are available in various departments such as Diversity, Compensation, Learning & Development, Talent Acquisition and Talent Management. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Gain exposure to a major HR process and the strategic role HR plays
- Assist with HR process by providing analysis and customer support
- Support the business strategy through managing and updating HR data, as well as project management work
- Attend business unit and corporate HR team meetings to gain exposure to the broader field of Human Resources
- Research best practice policies and programs regarding current employment trends
- Evaluate services delivered by HR vendors
- Analyze reports/trends and create custom reports based on company need
- Conduct employee/manager focus groups, surveys, etc. in order to recommend site specific pilots
- Participate with Voice of Employee survey and results
- Bench-mark industry practices of employer of choice organizations
- Additional Research/bench-marking projects as needed
Information Technology Intern
As an information technology intern, you will partner with various departments to ensure the most efficient technology solutions.
Opportunities are available in various departments such as Architecture, Application Design & Development, Application Support, Business Analysis, Infrastructure, Risk Management and Project Management. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Create technical documentation and specifications for single system components
- Administer project plans, budgets and other key deliverables for project managers
- Participate in testing execution efforts
- Collect data, perform basic needs analysis and effectively communicate results
- Analyze data between multiple systems and make appropriate updates
- Work with business and IT resources to resolve data quality issues
- Test, monitor and review implemented solutions; perform analysis of collected data and communicate findings to appropriate parties
Please note: These roles will utilize a strong business background making use of excellent communication and analytical skills. The majority of these roles are not technical-focused.
As a marketing intern you will assist in aiding the sales force to promote Cardinal Health’s products and services to our customers.
Opportunities are available within various departments, such as Ambulatory Care, Independent & Retail Pharmacy, Presource, Hospital Supply and Laboratory Products. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Develop marketing collateral utilizing own skills and/or outside services
- Maintain market segmentation research data
- Assist with projects through research, analytics and delivery phases
- Communicate with internal and external business units
- Support the design and development of training tools and product information pertaining to corporate initiatives
- Work with product managers to coordinate the logistics of training with customers and business units for integrated solutions
- Assist with corporate trade shows and exhibit opportunities
- Assist as needed with projects related to season trade shows/meetings - gain marketing and business unit knowledge
- Others duties upon request
Public Affairs Intern
As a public affairs intern, you will assist in creating a consistent message and brand to both internal and external audiences.
Opportunities are available in various departments such as Community Relations, External Communications, Internal Communications, Meetings, Events & Tradeshows and Public Relations. Responsibilities may vary based on department. Potential tasks could include:
- Audit the company's online media relations capabilities and develop a plan for improvement
- Assist in media measurement and analytics
- Assist in clip tracking
- Gain an understanding of event management activities
- Assist the Meetings, Events & Tradeshows staff with various meetings, events and conferences
- Manage meetings
- Travel to the location of the Retail Business Conference to assist with on-site activities
- Analyze current web-site content to ensure consistent messaging and brand standards
- Write and post articles and news releases as needed
- Write talking points, speeches, and collateral to be used by speakers and participants at various conferences
- Draft PowerPoint presentations and produce videos for various conferences, observing corporate brand standards and consistent messaging
- Assist with stakeholder analysis, by mapping out audiences, messages, and communication vehicles
- Assist with copywriting, by writing copy for print, electronic or web-based vehicles
Please note: Writing samples will be requested prior to consideration.
Supply Chain Management/Operations Intern
As an operations intern, you will gain exposure to how medical supplies are distributed to hospitals, physician offices, nursing homes and pharmacies throughout the country.
Opportunities are available in both corporate and warehouse environments. Responsibilities may vary based on location. Potential tasks could include:
- Identify, analyze and implement new or improved technologies or processes
- Develop, optimize, measure and maintain performance and productivity
- Respond to field requirements for process improvement, facility or technology solutions
- Knowledge and application of Lean Six Sigma principles and techniques
- Assist with the Blueprint Process through data gathering, analysis and implementation
- Assist with a network analysis or capital project
- Analyze existing key performance indicators (KPI)
- Design and document workflow to ensure operational effectiveness
- Participate in a Kaizen Event
* All current open positions are posted on our careers website. If you are not seeing a previously posted position or you receive no results during your search, then unfortunately the position(s) is no longer available or we are no longer accepting applications at this time.