American Diabetes Month®
Due to the increasing incidence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, the American Diabetes Association named November American Diabetes Month® to focus the nation's attention on the issues surrounding diabetes and the many people who are impacted by the disease.
The ADA reports that:
- Two out of three people with diabetes die from heart disease or stroke.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults.
- The rate of amputation for people with diabetes is 10 times higher than for people without diabetes.
- Direct medical costs reach $116 billion and the average medical expenditure among people with diabetes is 2.3 times higher than those without the disease.
- The cost of caring for someone with diabetes is $1 out of every $5 in total healthcare costs.
Contact your Cardinal Health sales representative for information about our products that help with the detection and screening of diabetes, including:
Cardinal Health Safety Lancets
Designed to make blood sampling easier, safe and less painful. Our safety lancets feature Comfort Zone Technology®, which distracts your brain from feeling the prick of the needle.
GlucoCrush™ Glucose Tolerance Beverage
For diagnosing hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, GlucoCrush™ glucose tolerance beverages provide a safe and effective way to find the results your patients need.
HemoCue® Glucose System
Combine the precision and accuracy of a laboratory measurement with quick turnaround time and ease of use.
Roche Accutrend® Plus System
Screen for cholesterol and monitor glucose quickly and easily with the Accutrend® Plus system—a flexible CLIA–waived testing solution providing immediate results to help you make treatment decisions more quickly.
Siemens DCA Vantage with v3.0 software
An enhanced version of the Siemens DCA Vantage point–of–care immunoassay analyzer for diabetes management—designed to meet the growing demands in point–of–care testing.
- American Diabetes Association, http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/programs/american-diabetes-month/american-diabetes-month-2012-fact-sheet.pdf
- ADA, http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/programs/american-diabetes-month/
- National Diabetes Education Program, http://ndep.nih.gov/media/Nov-2012-CommonLanguage-508.pdf